Creamy and filled with herbs and spices, these will be your favorite vegan cucumber sandwiches you've ever made. Enjoyed by everyone as an after school snack, an appetizer or with tea.
Tea sandwiches originated in the 1840s in England. Typically, they were eaten with a cup of tea around 4 in the afternoon to hold off hunger until the main meal.
In this recipe, I use vegan cream cheese and gluten free bread. The option is yours if you want to leave the crust or cut it off.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make these sandwiches.
- Vegan cream cheese - we prefer using Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese, but their chive flavor is delicious too!
- Gluten free bread - our favorite is Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain.
- Yogurt - we found that Kite Hill has one of the best non-dairy plain yogurts.
- Scallions - gives the cucumber sandwich a little bit more flavor.
- English Cucumber - contain less seeds and a thinner skin than a regular cucumber.
- Pea Shoots - optional, provides added source of micronutrients typically missing from the average diet.
- Spices - I used dried mint, dried dill, black pepper and garlic powder.
See recipe card for quantities.
Cucumber sandwiches are quick and easy to make. This recipe just takes 15-minutes to make.
Remove the crusts from the slices of bread
Add dried spices to the yogurt-cream cheese mixture
Whip the spices, yogurt and cream cheese
Add the spiced yogurt-cream cheese mixture to one slice of bread
Team cream cheese on both sides
Add cucumbers and pea shoots
Put both sides of the sandwich together
Cut the sandwich in half or in quarters, depending on preference.
Hint: Use English cucumbers instead of regular cucumbers, they contain less seeds and will prevent your bread from getting soggy. Adding the yogurt-cream cheese mixture on both slices of bread also decreases the risk of sogginess.
Substitutions and Variations
- Scallions - instead of scallions, you can opt for chives
- Bread - use your preference of bread; white, wheat, or whole grain
- Yogurt - can be replaced with sour cream
- Black Pepper - for a little extra kick, add cayenne pepper or crushed chili flakes.
- Pea shoots - are optional! If you don't prefer them, opt out of using them.
These vegan cucumber sandwiches are best served fresh. The cream cheese mixture can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days in a sealed container. These ingredients would not stand up well to freezing.
In a rush? Use a flavored cream cheese, such as chive or garden veggie to cut down on time.
Other Appetizer Ideas
Looking for more appetizers? Check out The Best Hummus Plate.
Vegan Cucumber Sandwiches
- 4 slices bread of choice
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 4 ounces vegan plain yogurt
- 2 tsp scallions, thinly sliced, greens only
- 1 ounce pea shoots, fresh
- ½ large English cucumber, ¼" slices
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried mint